Monday, May 30, 2011

"I" without personalizing


Using “I” has been demonized a lot however the writer shades some light on ways it can be used without sounding too egotistic. The is always tendencies to refer to one self especially when presenting an opinion or merely presenting a factual statement like biography, perhaps this is one of this times when we do understand why so many people who have had their biographies published or written by independent writers.
Personally, I have been left in a state of extreme self-awareness when writing a report or any other document that involves my own description of an event or statements.
According to the writer and in my opinion too if the statement “I” is not closely monitored in use it might create a sense of redundancy and self centered approach which can make ones arguments not carry much weight. It is also noted that by using “I” its easy to exhaust all your points in one or two sentence, rather it would help to use other descriptive words which can also provide more insight to ones opinions or what you are trying to communicate to you audience.
Its noted that some of the negative impacts of using “I” is situation whereby I reader may feel alienated by you insight or feel compelled to defend themselves from a onslaught of you perspective. There are however instances where its appropriate to use “I” especially when you find the outcome of the sentence would result in a rhetoric question while the statement was meant to generate a direct opinion.
While trying to understand more about how and when to use “I”, the website below provided a good insight on when to individualize a statement.
Like most people my self-awareness of using “I” came from high school so the article helped in researching more on the topic but still the awareness is imminent.

2 comments:

  1. You make a good point about over using I statements can make your writing redundant. I didn't think about it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that using "I" can hinder from including more details. It sort of takes up most of the ammo.

    p.s. Thanks for sharing that link. It was really helpful!

    ReplyDelete